Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis



This is the first of many books I hope to read this summer. Thomas a Kempis was a 15th century monk and he wrote this amazingly powerful book. Read it. Its just as powerful today as it was 500 years ago. I'll post quotes I think are awesome.

Chapter 1
"Vanity of vanities and all is vanity except to love God and serve Him alone".
"It is vanity to wish for a long life and to care little about a well spent life"
"Turn your heart from the love of things visible and bring yourself to things invisible".

Chapter 2
"The more you know and the better you understand, the more severely you will be judged, unless your life is also the more holy"
"Shun too great a desire for knowledge, for in it there is much fretting and dilusion"
"He who concerns himself about other things than those which lead to salvation is very unwise"
"If you wish to learn and appriciate something worthwile, then love to be unknown and considered as nothing"
"All men are frail, but you must admit that none is more frail than yourself"

That's all I have so far. It took me almost 2 hours to read the first 4 pages of this book because it is so dense. I'm going to nibble at it rather than blow through. I highlighted and marked the whole 4 pages up as well. Its really great when you can read without a schedule like in school. This 2nd chapter was really tough for me. Its rough. It sounds somwhat depressing. Regardless, this book is powerful. Wow.

No comments: